Safeguarding Personnel / Roles
SAFEGUARDING PERSONNEL / ROLES
The following are the people involved in this essential work in the Presentation Brothers:
Safeguarding Coordinator: Mrs Treise Lenihan
Further to her role as the Brothers' Safeguarding Trainer, Treise works on coordinating all aspects of Safeguarding for the Brothers in Ireland, including providing support to the Safeguarding representatives in each of the Brothers' communities. Her email address is safeguarding@PresentationBrothers.org
Designated Liaison Person (DLP): Mr Phil Mortell
Phil Mortell is the Designated Liaison Person for the Presentation Brothers in Ireland. His designated telephone number is 0863932685 (from outside of Ireland +353863932685) and his email address is email@example.com
The Role of the Designated Liaison Person is to hear any concerns or disclosures relating to safeguarding and to take responsibility for managing the responses to that concern or disclosure. The role includes:
- Receive information about a child protection concern.
- Report the concern received to the civil authorities (HSE / An Garda Siochana) and to National Office for Safeguarding Children without delay.
- Explain the referral procedures to the person who has raised the concern.
- Contact emergency or appropriate services where a child appears to be at immediate and serious risk of harm.
- Inform the Province Leader that a complaint has been made and make a recommendation to the Province Leader about any immediate action(s) that may need to be taken.
- Make inquiries to identify the present and previous appointments of the person complained against in order to establish whether there are any previous concerns
- Conduct an initial interview with the person complained against as soon as possible, unless the HSE / An Garda Síochána have requested that such an interview is deferred.
- Prepare a written record of the interview that is agreed with the person complained against
- Take the case if required to the Case Management Review Board for advice.
- Follow the advice given by HSE / An Garda Síochána where a child protection concern has been referred to them.
- Maintain a dialogue with the Investigating Officer or Social Worker to monitor the progress of the case and act on any advice given.
- Ask for an update from the HSE / An Garda Síochána about the outcome of their investigations; this request should be made in writing.
- Conduct an internal investigation under Canon Law at the conclusion or in the absence of any external investigation.
Presentation Brothers Safeguarding Committee
- Ms. Cleo Yates (Chairperson)
- Ms. Finola Aherne (Secretary)
- Mrs. Jemma Halpin (PBYM Coordinator)
- Ms. Aishling Mulherin (PBYM Coordinator)
- Mrs. Treise Lenihan (Safeguarding Coordinator)
- Mr. Phil Mortell (Designated Liaison Person)
- Mrs. Aelin O'Donoghue
- Ms. Rebecca Barford-Ryan
- Mr. Daniel O'Connell
National Office for Safeguarding Children
All Church organisations and personnel can access specialist advice about child protection issues through the National Office.
National Office for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland
Saint Patrick's College
Tel: +353 1 505 3124
Fax: +353 1 505 3026
National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland (NBSCCCI or ‘National Board)
The National Board is independent in order to allow it to undertake advisory, audit and inspection functions. The National Board will produce an annual report, which provides data and commentary on the practice of Church organisations regarding the safeguarding of children. In particular, the annual report will contain summaries of the learning gained from reviews and audits carried out during the year to which the annual report relates.
The National Board has three main aims:
- To offer advice on best practice in Safeguarding Children
- To assist in the development of Safeguarding policy, procedures and practice.
- To monitor practice in relation to Safeguarding Children.
HSE & GARDA CONTACTS
For the Tusla website itself, click here.
Local HSE Duty Social Worker Contacts:-
Duty Social worker can be contacted 9am-5pm
Offaly Area Tel. +353 57 869 2567
Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin Area Tel. +353 1 663 7300
North Lee, Co Cork Area Tel. +353 21 492 7000
South Lee, Co Cork Area Tel. +353 21 492 3001
Killarney Area Tel. +353 66 712 1566
Dungarvan, Waterford Area Tel. +353 58 20906
Waterford City Area Tel. +353 51 842827
Outside of these hours in cases of emergency please contact An Garda
An Garda Síochána
Birr Tel: +353 57 916 9710
Dun Laoghaire Tel: +353 1 666 5000
Anglesea Street, Cork City Tel: +353 21 452 2000
Killarney Tel: +353 64 667 1160
Dungarvan Tel: +353 58 48600
Waterford Tel: +353 51 305300
For further information on local Garda stations - www.garda.ie